Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Wintery White Kinda Day

It's snowing! My son's got a snowday from school and my husband will be driving home in the nasty wintery mix, so what's for dinner?

This week I picked up some beautiful white asparagus from the grocery. As soon as I saw it tasty thoughts of spargelcremesuppe from my years in Germany came to mind. So I bought it and vowed to make some before the veggies turned to their own soupy mush in the bottom drawer of my fridge.

I've never made a cream soup before so I wasn't sure what i was getting myself into, but the recipe was easy and as it simmers now, waiting for dinnertime, I can tell you it is wonderful! Since it's a white wonderland outside, I think I'll stick with a white theme for dinner tonight and make biscuits for with the soup and perhaps I'll set a bowl outside and whip up some of Paul Deen's snow cream for dessert!

Spargelcremesuppe

1 lb white asparagus
3 lemon slices
1/2 tsp sugar
a few pinches of salt
6 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup flour
2 cups milk
4 tablespoons heavy cream
1 egg yolk
salt, pepper to taste

Wash and peel the asparagus. Cut it into 1 to 1/2 inch pieces. Cover with water, add lemon slices, sugar and salt. Cook for 15 minutes until tender. Drain, reserving 2 cups water for later.

In large pot, melt butter and slowly whisk in flour. Add milk and cook over medium heat, stirring until thickened.

Add the two cups of reserved water and the asparagus pieces to the milk mixture and bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Beat egg yolk and heavy cream. Add to the soup.

Season with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment