Saturday, January 22, 2011

What to do with brown bananas?


Some bunches of bananas just seem to turn brown overnight! I hate it when that happens, but this time before my husband threw them out I managed to get a batch of banana bread out of them. As usual, I sat down and scoured my recipes for inspiration then turned to the internet for some extra ideas.


That’s when I stumbled across Food From a Girl Who Loves Food. In her blog, Naka suggests making a marbled banana loaf using Nutella! What a fantastic sounding idea, I even have some in the cupboard! She mixed her’s with a recipe from Cooking LIght, which I should have done, but since I eat dangerously, I went with not only a fully loaded recipe, but a maple one!!




Teri’s Maple Hazelnut Banana Bread


½ cup butter, softened

½ cup maple syrup

1 egg

2 ripe mashed bananas

½ teaspoon vanilla

4 tablespoons creme fraiche

2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon baking powder

¼ teaspoon salt

½ cup Nutella



DIRECTIONS


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan.


In a large bowl, mix the butter and maple syrup. Beat in the egg and mashed bananas. Stir in the maple extract and creme fraiche.


In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and baking powder, and stir into the banana mixture.


Melt Nutella in a medium microwave safe bowl. Add 1 cup of banana bread mixture and mix well.


Alternate adding spoonfuls of each mixture into greased loaf pan. Once all batter has been added carefully swirl to create a marbled loaf.


Bake 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.


Mine is in the oven now and it smells so great, I can’t wait to taste it! My mouth is already watering imagining a thick slick slice slathered in butter!


It was just as delicious as it smelled! Enjoy! What a tasty treat!


No comments:

Post a Comment